By all accounts, David Braun inherited a terrible situation as the interim coach of the Northwestern Wildcats. A school void of resources that most Big Ten schools possess, Braun’s work as the leader of the Wildcats’ football program following the dismissal of former coach Pat Fitzgerald has been inspiring in 2023.
It’s done more than inspire fans and the players, as the Wildcats are reportedly naming him their full-time head coach.
Northwestern to Hire David Bruan as Head Coach
According to ESPN’s Pete Thamel, Northwestern is set to announce David Braun as their permanent head coach following his 10-game stint as the interim coach.
Braun has led Northwestern to a 5-5 start to their season and has shown flashes of what they could potentially become. A rising star in the coaching industry and former defensive lineman, Braun’s elevation means he’ll stay at Northwestern instead of what likely was a future head coaching job somewhere else.
Taking over for the aforementioned Fitzgerald, who was at the center of hazing allegations at Northwestern, Braun has quickly developed a culture that fits directly into the Wildcats’ programs of old.
Hard-working, hard-nosed, defensively-poised units that can stand toe-to-toe with the top defenses in the Big Ten, Braun has built the Northwestern team back up against all odds.
The leader of the defense at North Dakota State during two title runs, Braun has also instilled a winning culture at Northwestern. His defense with the Wildcats currently ranks 15th nationally in passing defense, giving up only 181.7 yards per game.
The Wildcats also rank 30th in total defense, allowing just 332.1 yards per game, compared to last season’s figure of 374.8.
David Braun Coaching Resume
- Winona State – Graduate Assistant (2008-2009)
- Culver-Stockton – Defensive Coordinator/LB Coach (2010)
- Winona State – co-Defensive Coordinator/LB Coach (2011-2014)
- UC Davis – DL Coach (2015-16)
- Northern Iowa – Run Game Coordinator/DL Coach (2017)
- Northern Iowa – Special Teams Coordinator/OLB Coach (2018)
- North Dakota State – Defensive Coordinator/S Coach (2019-2022)
- Northwestern – Interim Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator (2023)
- Northwestern – Head Coach (2023–present)