The North Carolina Tar Heels have produced just one double-digit win season since 1997, so they went back to a familiar face to run the show. Mack Brown returned to Chapel Hill, and the Tar Heels gave him a contract to support their future success.
Let’s look at that contract and the details involved
Mack Brown’s Salary and Contract in 2023
There aren’t many coaches that have a contract like Mack Brown. His base salary when he signed with the Tar Heels came in at five years for $750,000 per year.
Seems low, right? Well, that’s not all.
Included in the terms was $2 million in supplemental compensation, $200,000 from Nike, $500,000 for Coaches Show, and $50,000 for expenses. That brought the total to $3.5 million annually when he signed the contract.
Since then, he’s signed multiple extensions, with the latest extending him through the 2028 season. His salary has also bumped up to $5 million annually. The extension then made him the 11th highest-paid coach in college football.
Brown’s contract gives the Tar Heels some relief after they fired previous head coach Larry Fedora and had to pay him $12 million. After last year, should the Tar Heels have fired Brown, they would have only needed to pay Brown $3.6 million.
His bonus structure matches most other college football coaches.
North Carolina gives Brown bonuses for meeting certain criteria in the regular season and for certain postseason achievements listed below:
- ACC Coastal Division Championship:$200,000
- ACC Championship: $250,000
- Top 25 finish in CFP Poll: $50,000 (increased to $100,000 if top 15)
- Non-New Year’s 6 Bowl Game appearance: $75,000
- New Year’s 6 Bowl Game appearance: $200,000
- College Football Playoff appearance: $100,000 (in addition to NY6 payout)
- National Championship Game appearance: $200,000
- National Championship: $200,000
Brown’s already cashed in a few of these bonuses in his time with North Carolina, but his contract shows that he’s not overly concerned with the money side of things. There are a few unique perks.
Mack Brown’s Net Worth
While his contract contributes to most of his net worth, Brown has one aspect of his contract that adds to it. He just might not be aware of it.
North Carolina is a Jordan Brand school, which is where the Nike part of his contract comes into play. Brown’s embraced the younger culture by wearing the custom-made Jordan shoes his team gets every year. Some of them go for thousands of dollars due to the rarity of the sneaker.
From Air Jordan 3’s to Air Jordan 11’s, Brown continues to break out UNC-themed sneakers that put the sneaker community into a frenzy, and he doesn’t have to buy them.
Additional perks of the contract include various things for Mack Brown, which are included below:
- At least one university-provided automobile
- Four tickets and access to 10 additional tickets for all football games, including bowl games
- Four tickets to all UNC home sporting events
- A suite for all football home games and access to the athletic director’s suite at away games
- Personal use of a private aircraft for up to 25 hours per year
It’s safe to say that North Carolina takes good care of their current head coach, even if the contract is more friendly to them. Brown’s done a great job of turning the product on the field into a competitive one, and the Tar Heels feel the value retained on the contract has been worth every penny.